Mobile Toggle
SC_logo.png  Log In
Blog for math teachers. The Sadlier Math Blog is a K-8 resource to support deep comprehension of math skills and concepts.
featured-post-temp.jpg

Close Reading Lesson: Faithful Elephants by Yukio Tsuchiya

Close reading is when a reader analyzes the details of a text to make interpretations and develop a deep understanding of the passage. Often the reader uses a short text and rereads the passage several times focusing on a different literary element with each read... Continue Reading

October 26, 2017

Mean Absolute Deviation and the Concept of Variability in Middle School

Recently, I was working with some of my students on topics they had failed in last year’s state testing. The topic of the day was mean absolute deviation, and while they were able to perform the calculations, they were struggling with the concept of statistical variability.

Continue Reading

6-8-statistics-and-probability

April 10, 2017

Earth Day Math Activities for Middle School Students

Earth Day is a great way to interest students in how math can be used to understand the world around us. Today’s topic is how you can use ratios, unit rates, and data distributions for students to compare different countries’ carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

Continue Reading

6-8-statistics-and-probability, other-seasonal

November 10, 2016

Free Line Plot Worksheet; Using Fractions to Measure Crayon Lengths, Grades 4–6

In this post, I want to share a great line plot activity for late elementary or middle school students. I highly recommend this line plot worksheet because it brings together several topics in one activity. Students use their developing knowledge of fractions, (halves, quarters, eighths), hone their ability to measure objects, and practice displaying and analyzing data using line plots. You can download the line plot worksheet and use it in your classroom today.

Continue Reading

3-5-measurement-and-data, 3-5-statistics-and-probability, 6-8-statistics-and-probability

June 9, 2016

Two-Way Frequency Table Data Sets for Bivariate Categorical Data in Grade 8

Making two-way tables for bivariate categorical data is a standard in the Grade 8 Common Core State Standards math curriculum. I have had some great experiences with my Grade 8 social studies teacher in developing cross-curricular projects for bivariate categorical data. This post highlights some of the two-way frequency table data sets we have been developing for a global studies project this spring.

Continue Reading

6-8-statistics-and-probability

March 2, 2016

Welcome to the Progress in Math Blog

I am so glad that you found this math blog among all the possible sites you might have landed on through the Internet, and I hope you keep with me as I continue to develop the blog. What you will find here is a collection of standards-based math activities, thoughts on lesson planning, trends in K–­­8 mathematics teaching and learning, a focus on the mathematical practice standards, and connections to children’s literature that can be paired with math lessons.

Continue Reading

k-2-math-practices, 3-5-number-and-operations-in-base-10, 3-5-operations-and-algebraic-thinking, 6-8-math-practices, mp-abstract-quantitative, mp-reasoning, other-writing-in-mathematics, k-2-counting-and-cardinality, k-2-number-and-operations-in-base-10, k-2-measurement-and-data, 3-5-measurement-and-data, 3-5-statistics-and-probability, 6-8-ratios-and-proportional-relationships, 6-8-functions, 6-8-statistics-and-probability, mp-problem-solving, mp-repeated-reasoning, other-professional-development, other-classroom-posters, k-2-operations-and-algebraic-thinking, k-2-geometry, 3-5-number-and-operations-fractions, 3-5-math-practices, 6-8-the-number-system, 6-8-expressions-and-equations, 6-8-geometry, mp-modeling, mp-using-tools, mp-precision, mp-structure, other-test–taking-strategies, other-seasonal

jeff-todd
Math tips from our Math expert Jeff! 

interactive-read-aloud-lesson-bundle

Interactive Read Aloud Bundle, K–5

Download-Now

Common Core Progress English Language Arts

>> Featured Product <<

Close_Reading_Lesson_Plan_Faithful_Elephants_thumb_350px

Close Reading Faithful Elephants, Grades 4–5

Close-Read-Download-Now

Common Core Progress English Language Arts

>> Featured Product <<