Mobile Toggle
SC_logo.png  Log In
Blog for math teachers. The Sadlier Math Blog is a K-8 resource to support deep comprehension of math skills and concepts.
featured-post-temp.jpg

Close Reading Lesson: Faithful Elephants by Yukio Tsuchiya

Close reading is when a reader analyzes the details of a text to make interpretations and develop a deep understanding of the passage. Often the reader uses a short text and rereads the passage several times focusing on a different literary element with each read... Continue Reading

November 30, 2017

Gingerbread House STEAM Activity: Math Connections for Grades 1–8

If you are like me, you are wracking your brain for a holiday-themed STEAM activity for your class. There are several possibilities for non-religious themes. I have looked through many of the ideas: cutting out snowflakes, decorating trees, making paper strip stars, etc., but the one I like the best is constructing a gingerbread house out of graham crackers. Gingerbread houses are part of many holiday traditions and associated with winter, so it is a reasonably safe choice for most classes.

Continue Reading

3-5-operations-and-algebraic-thinking, k-2-measurement-and-data, 3-5-measurement-and-data, k-2-operations-and-algebraic-thinking, k-2-geometry, 6-8-geometry, 3-5-geometry

May 27, 2016

A Surface Area Activity Using The RAFT Writing Strategy

This is a surface area activity I have been using in my classroom since the mid-90s and it’s one of my favorites! I have since developed it to become a RAFT writing assignment. You can download the instructions and rubrics for scoring the activity at the end of the post.

Continue Reading

6-8-geometry

March 2, 2016

Welcome to the Progress in Math Blog

I am so glad that you found this math blog among all the possible sites you might have landed on through the Internet, and I hope you keep with me as I continue to develop the blog. What you will find here is a collection of standards-based math activities, thoughts on lesson planning, trends in K–­­8 mathematics teaching and learning, a focus on the mathematical practice standards, and connections to children’s literature that can be paired with math lessons.

Continue Reading

k-2-math-practices, 3-5-number-and-operations-in-base-10, 3-5-operations-and-algebraic-thinking, 6-8-math-practices, mp-abstract-quantitative, mp-reasoning, other-writing-in-mathematics, k-2-counting-and-cardinality, k-2-number-and-operations-in-base-10, k-2-measurement-and-data, 3-5-measurement-and-data, 3-5-statistics-and-probability, 6-8-ratios-and-proportional-relationships, 6-8-functions, 6-8-statistics-and-probability, mp-problem-solving, mp-repeated-reasoning, other-professional-development, other-classroom-posters, k-2-operations-and-algebraic-thinking, k-2-geometry, 3-5-number-and-operations-fractions, 3-5-math-practices, 6-8-the-number-system, 6-8-expressions-and-equations, 6-8-geometry, mp-modeling, mp-using-tools, mp-precision, mp-structure, other-test–taking-strategies, other-seasonal

jeff-todd
Math tips from our Math expert Jeff! 

interactive-read-aloud-lesson-bundle

Interactive Read Aloud Bundle, K–5

Download-Now

Common Core Progress English Language Arts

>> Featured Product <<

Close_Reading_Lesson_Plan_Faithful_Elephants_thumb_350px

Close Reading Faithful Elephants, Grades 4–5

Close-Read-Download-Now

Common Core Progress English Language Arts

>> Featured Product <<